This or That: IOP Edition
You are here
2 Jun 2021
When you’re going on vacation to a new place, it’s easy to rely on familiar options from home where you know what to expect. Stopping at a fast-food joint for a quick lunch, staying at a hotel chain close by, and stocking up the car with your groceries before you leave home can be habits we fall back to, but there are better options to make your vacation that much better!
This week, we’re giving you alternatives to popular vacation habits to make sure your next trip to the Island is the best yet (and probably a lot less stressful!)
Instead of Fast Food, Try Locally-Owned Restaurants!
Stopping for fast food can be a quick and easy option on your way to the Island, or if you're travelling into Downtown Charleston during your stay, but then you're experiencing the same food you most likely have at home! Charleston is a city that is known for its diverse cuisine, with a multitude of locally-owned restaurants that fit all budgets and all tastes. While these places may not be as quick, they will most certainly be more delicious, and supports small businesses!
Some of our favorites on Isle of Palms are:
- The Co-Op (on Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms)--A great spot for breakfast and sandwiches at lunchtime. On Tuesdays, get there early for their In-n-Out style burgers and fries!
- Luke n' Ollies--A crowd-pleaser for pizza lovers everywhere!
- Papi's Taqueria--Nothing says a beach vacay like oceanfront tacos! Papi's caters to several different dietary preferences/restrictions, and has a rooftop deck!
Instead of Driving Everywhere, Try Alternative Transportation!
While parking can be a little more difficult to find, we are fortunate to be on an island that caters itself to alternative modes of transportation! The Isle of Palms is only about 6 miles long in its entirety, so there are lots of ways to get around that don't involve packing everyone in your car! Try these options instead:
- Bikes: Whether you're bringing your own from home, or having them delivered to your rental, bikes are a great option for getting around town. Many businesses and beach accesses have bike racks for you to keep them safe, and it's a great way to get exercise, too!
- Golf carts: Toting chairs and bags down to the beach? No problem! Golf carts are an easy way to carry all of your belongings, while not having to struggle to find a place to park the van or SUV. There are designated golf cart parking spaces on the Island, and several different rental companies to choose from! (If you're visiting on a peak week, be sure to reserve yours in advance; they will sell out!)
- Rideshare: If a car is a must, try utilizing a ride-share service like Uber or Lyft. Not only will you not have to worry about parking, but it's also more eco-friendly!
Instead of packing a cooler before you travel, try getting your groceries delivered!
When you're getting ready to leave to come to the Island, there's probably a long packing list that you're going over at least twice to make sure you don't forget anything. To save room in your car, and to ensure that you're not forgetting anything, try getting your groceries delivered straight to your property rental!
- Groceries Ahead allows you to browse thousands of items on their site, and then they'll deliver everything into your rental! Cold items will be in the fridge, and everything else will be on the counter waiting for you.
- Options like Walmart grocery delivery will drop everything off on the front porch, so when you get checked in and head on over to your rental, everything is there and ready to go!
- If you'd rather pick it up, Harris Teeter has an order online and curbside pick-up service. There's a location diagonal from the Island Realty office on Palm Blvd., so this is a super convenient option as well!
Instead of a hotel, try a vacation rental!
Hotels are often seen as a reliable choice, but they can also come with issues like overbooking, excess fees, and not always having the amenities you're looking for.
Vacation rentals, especially those on our rental program, offer a wide variety of sizes, types (houses, apartments, and condos,) and often have added amenities that aren't offered in hotels, like a private pool just for your family, entertainment options like TV's with streaming capabilities and games like ping pong tables, and best of all, you get a room to yourself!
Learn more about why vacation rentals are the better option on our blog post from a couple of weeks ago:
We hope these alternatives provided you with inspiration for your next trip to IOP! If you still haven't booking your stay for this Summer, browse our site or call in to get your vacation booked!