Rules and Regulations for Beach Ceremonies
Isle of Palms
- You and your guests must be careful of the dunes for protection of sea turtles and erosion.
- Please make sure that your guests are aware of parking regulations. Where parking is allowed, all four tires must be completely off the roadway.
- Professional photography is allowed on the beach under limited conditions. However, all other businesses such as catering, are prohibited on the beach.
- If you are having the event catered at your home, your catering company must have an Isle of Palms business license and adhere to the islands' hospitality tax ordinance.
- It is a good idea to check the tide table and to advise the police department, (843) 886-6522, the day of the event in case they receive any complaints.
- City ordinances prohibit more than 40 people being at a short term rental property at any time.
- Specific questions can be directed to Ms. Linda Loworn Tucker (City Administrator) at email@example.com.
A request to hold a wedding ceremony on the beach at Sullivan's Island must be made in writing. Regrettably, email requests are not accepted. The written request must include the following information:
Name, address, and telephone number of bride and groom
Date, time and location of ceremony
Estimated number of guests
Any special requirements (e.g., chairs for elderly guests)
Requests should be mailed to:
Town of Sullivan's Island ATTN: Lisa Darrow, Asst to Town Administrator
Post Office Box 427, Sullivan's Island, SC 29482
In addition to the written request, there are several requirements of beach weddings by the Town you should note when planning your ceremony:
- Guests should observe designated public parking areas.
- Beach access is allowed via designated beach paths or property owner paths.
- No vehicles or golf carts are permitted on the beach or beach path.
- Ceremonies may not be conducted in the dunes.
- Sea oats may not be destroyed.
- Privacy of residents must be respected.
- Bird seed or rice may not be distributed on the beach and/or beach paths
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited
- No commercial activity is permitted on the beach (including but not limited to photographers, caterers, wedding planners, etc.)
- Dogs have specific restrictions on the beach.
- Structures are prohibited on the beach (e.g. altars)
- Specific questions may be addressed to Ms. Darrow at (843) 883-5744 or (843) 883-3198