The Charleston Bucket List for First Timers
You are here
4 Aug 2020
It’s no secret that Charleston is a great place to visit. If this is your first time visiting the Holy City, you’ve probably gotten overwhelmed with the massive lists of great restaurants, things to do, and places to see. To get a good feel for Charleston that will have you wanting to come back time and time again, we have the perfect (and concise) bucket list for you! These are the essentials to your first time here, and soon you’ll love it just as much as we do!
1. Watch the sunrise at Breach Inlet. Right over the bridge onto Sullivan's Island, you'll find a quaint park with a couple of benches. While the area isn't suitable for swimming, it's a beautiful spot to watch the sunrise over the sparkling waters.
2. Have brunch at an iconic Charleston spot. Here are some of our favorite Charleston brunch spots:
- Eli's Table
- Hall's Chophouse — you won't want to miss the gospel brunch here!
- The Macintosh
- Millers All Day
3. Go shopping along King Street.
4. Sample pralines at Market Street Sweets.
5. Take a tour at a historic plantation. Some of the nearby locations that offer tours include:
- Boone Hall
- Drayton Hall
- Magnolia Plantation
- Middleton Place
6. Visit the famous Angel Oak tree.
7. Sightsee mansions at the Battery and wade in the Pineapple Fountain.
8. Get a taste of classic Lowcountry cuisine. These tried-and-true restaurants offer great versions of the classics:
- Poogan's Porch
- 82 Queen
9. Spend a day at the beach. We have two beaches right here — Isle of Palms of Sullivan's Island!
10. Spend happy hour on a rooftop bar and stay for the sunset. Here are some of the best places for sightseeing:
- Eleve at the Grand Bohemian
- Uptown Social
- The Vendue
Charleston Vacation Planning Resources
Looking for more recommendations? Download the Charleston Bucket List for First-Timers!
For more tips on what to do your first time in Charleston, check out our Insider's Guide to the Lowcountry!